Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Essay- A YOUNG WOMAN’S DETERMINATION- C Hutton


“Positive?! No way, this couldn’t be happening, I am only nineteen years old and I am still in school I couldn’t be pregnant, what am I going to do?” That’s all I could think as I finished in the bathroom at my mother house. “Ok, how am I going to tell everyone and what is my initial decision going to be?” I was faced with a decision that would change my life forever. I had encountered many tough decisions in my life but nothing like this or to this degree. I had grown up in a very rocky childhood with losing my father to Multiple Scleroses and then my mother to illegal problems. Being raised by my grandparents I didn’t have a sense of life that I thought I should, but these struggles had turned me into a strong independent woman. With my strength, integrity and determination, I made the decision to keep the little one that was growing inside of me.

When it came down to it, I knew in my heart that it was not likely for me to just get rid of an innocent baby that I felt like if I had made the mistake on. In addition I knew my family would always be there if the father didn’t want to stay around. The father was wonderful in the beginning of my pregnancy, but then a few months down the road he basically treated me like and animal and made me come to another difficult decision to leave him. At this point I had moved four hours from my family to try to make it work between us, but just like everyone told me it wouldn’t work and it didn’t.

I was determined not to sit around and wait for someone to save me or make me feel better about my situation. I knew I had a beautiful little boy who was going to be looking up to me and he deserved the best that I could give him. With my own perseverance, I found a better job that paid more and offered benefits to take care of my wild son. Knowing I had more to offer than just data entry and sitting in front of a computer all day, I decided to go back to school and finish my dream of becoming a nurse. I worked many hours as a research assistant and I was attended school as a full time student. This schedule became a challenge to my mind. I felt insane as, at twenty-two, I had so many responsibilities. My son had just turned two and he was hitting the point of the terrible twos and driving me crazy, but with the help of my family, I was able to stay focused.

Then one night, my girlfriends dragged me out for a girl’s night out and I met a very handsome and well put together man. We chatted for hours and we really enjoyed each other’s company. From that night on Steven, my new found love, and I became very close and he became a large part of my life. Steven has contributed so much to my life. His positive reinforcement and love has given me another light at the end of my tunnel.

As a student I worked very hard to keep my grades up and at this point of my life education became very important so it was a priority. With all of the outside help and pushes that my boyfriends give me and just coming home to my beautiful son’s face made life really worth living to the best of my ability. The semesters keep passing and I am still on the road to success. I am not quite finished yet but I am getting closer every day. My boyfriend is still by my side and my son is growing up to be a healthy and smart young toddler.

I have become a very strong individual even after facing that tough decision almost three years ago. In my path I has have found a new light and I still smile and it looks as if my life is normal. Difficulties will always be thrown my way, but knowing I have made it this far, I know nothing will get in my way! still smiles and looks as if my life is normal and difficulties will always be thrown my way, but knowing I have made it this far there is nothing that could get in my way!!

5 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Acalderon34 said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. This was a very moving a touching story. No matter how hard things were for you, you still were strong and that made you a better person.

Ashley C

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Elodie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Elodie said...

Hi Crystal,

Your little "monster" as you call him has the cutest smile!!
The only thing i could tell you after reading your story is that you should be proud of who you are and what you have accomplished so far. You really impress me!! Being a mon, student and working is not an easy thing to do but you are able to juggle between all of that and succeed. You are defenitly an example that as a woman we are strong and able to accomplish a lot of things....we are defenitly not the weaker sex as many men would say!!!

Elo

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Crystal, I can still remember when we started the class and we shared names. Now, it is the end of the semester and we are a small family.

I have no words to say how much I can understand the challenges you face as a mother and a young woman with her own dreams. I am convinced that you will succeed and it is good to know that you have the support of loved ones.

Your baby is beautiful and he will one day write a story about the strength of his mother:)

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger rubyrodriguez said...

your story is touching, you accomplished a lot and being a woman is hard but you have proved that you can do what you put your mind to. Many young teens don't even go back to school but you did it. congratulations!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home