Thursday, April 26, 2007

Woman's Nature/ Antony


My mum is always being an idol in my mind because of her strength. Different to traditional Chinese woman, she puts a lot of focus on her own business. From being a government official to owning a wholesale market. I think she must have some secrets to her success. However, her answer is as same to a traditional chinese woman.

INTERVIEW:

A: Traditionally, chinese women were always below the men, their responsibilities were to serve the families and listen to their husbands. Even though it is past, I think women must not give up the responsibility to the family. It does not the gender discrimination. But women always have a characteristic of mother's love. This is our nature that never changes.

Q: What are the most important factors of a woman's success?

A: I think opportunities and knowledge is the answer for most of the people. However, it is for both men and women. In my opinion, a successful woman should be independent and strong. Sometimes they have to even work harder than men do. Beside these two factors, there is a most important factor that the strong and independence cannot take place. That is woman's sweet characteristic. A lovely woman is welcomed anywhere. Oppositely, an absolute strong woman will lose her potential advantage.

Q: Have you ever met any difficulty in your business as you are a woman?

A: I seemed never met any big difficulty in my business. But there is one thing that I feel quite sorry and responsible. I did not pay much attention on my family. I think each chinese woman has her responsibility to serve her own family. I had not enough time to take care of both sides when i ran my business, and I chose to spend more times on works. I remembered that you always called me "Mun, where are you? Why are you so different to other mothers for being outside all the time?" I still feel sorry that I had less time spent with my son and my families before. As I am not that busy now, I would like to be with them much often. If you want me to tell you the difficulty, that would be the spending time on both family and work. Any business woman who cannot get the realizing from her husband will easily break her family.

2 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Antony, thanks for the story. Like you, I find your mother's story amazing. It is a surprise that even though her life seems unconventional she still shares the same traditional ideas of some Chinese women. Did you ask her about this? Did you tell her that you noticed the difference?

She does point out an ongoing challenge for many women. Women are often struggling with their desire to have both a career and a family. And, I wonder her many women share your mother's regret about not having spent enough time with her family.

How do you think this affected you as a child? Do you think about your role as a parent now and what choices you will make?

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Antony said...

Actually, my mum used to be a reallt strong woman, a little bit too storng. But she changed a lot these few years.

I heard a story of my mum's friend, which is a storng woman as well. She was very disappointed about her husband that he wouldn't celebrate her birthday, or even say "happy birthday" to her. The answer she got from her husband was "I think you are so strong that doesn't need it."

I think it is too clear to tell how a extreme-strong woman will be treated.

About your question of the effect on me... I don't know. I agree that my parents affect me a lot so that I'm very contious about marriage. However, being a parent is still early and is a big question for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home