Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Women's World? by Marc Wahli


After several weeks of desperation I found finally someone who was willing to take the time and answer my questions. I found out that somehow Swiss women do not like to talk about being a woman, perhaps because it’s too natural…?

I never forgot her first reaction after I explained her, what the topic of the interview is about. After a longer break I heard a loud giggling, “What? No it’s ok, go on! I just thought this topic is gone, somehow old-fashioned. Let me think about that!”

Define the word woman in your own words. What does it mean to you?

“Well, you know I guess I am too young to give you an interesting answer on that! Where is the difference between women and men? We are human beings that should be enough! I mean it is the same with races; shouldn’t we speak of the human race, not of black, white, yellow and red skinned people?”

“ I mean, I was born in 1984 in Switzerland. I have the same rights like you, do you agree? It’s not the 1970s when women had to fight for the right to vote, I was born in a free world; at least in a free country. Law guarantees the sexual equality; men and women are equal. On the other hand there are some topics left, women should be a little concerned. In our federal council of Switzerland there is just one female and six male presidents. But I am against quota agreement; the best should be elected!

“Well, sometimes it even better to be a woman. Usually I don’t have to pay or stand in line to get into a club. Ah, I almost forget. We do not have to serve in the military. A big advantage!”

Tell me a story of a challenge you faced as a woman.

“A story? I can just tell you my feelings about the future. I am studying business as you know, and I do not just study to become a well-educated wife and mother. I want a career; otherwise I wouldn’t go to the University of Bern every day and take that burden on me. Family? Sure, I want to have family one day! I love children; I think that is the biggest challenge in a life of a woman: Having children, a husband and a career. I can’t change it; it is still the woman who gives birth to children and not men. And this is good so! The first years one parent should stay at home and take care of the children. That is very important; I hope I am going to be ready to give up my career for these years. I think it has to be me, I don’t know a single man who wants to stay at home and raise the children. It is still a woman’s job, guys feel uncomfortable with the idea to be househusband, It is also not accepted in the business world; in the CV of a man it looks bad, to have spent a year or two as a househusband.

After I finished questioning my friend I had a mixed feeling. I think women in Switzerland have more rights than in most other countries in the world. On the other hand I feel guilty when I think about what she said. Men do not give up the career for their family; I know I wouldn’t feel comfortable to do that either.

1 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Your opening made me smile. Thank your friend for giving us a peep into her culture. It sounds as if things are little more relaxed for the Swiss woman, but I still hear a little sexism. Like you I thought about the fact that men would find it hard to be househusbands. That would be a great question to ask a number of men. I'd like to hear why they would find it so difficult. Why do you think it would be a challenge for you as a man? Did you wonder how women cope with that knowledge?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home