Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Woman Struggles/Marisol











Marisol Loza
English
Women Struggles

As women in society we are looked upon as inferior to males. Although women have gained and struggled to reach equality throughout history we've never reached a balance. Women have and will always be unequal to men. Men have always been the dominant gender and are looked upon as superior.

I've interview a close friend of mine that I’ve known for about 5 years. Her name is Gabriela Ponce. She is from Venezuela and has lived in Santa Barbara for about 8 years. I've asked her what her perspective of a “woman" is. What the word "woman" means to her?

She responded,” When I hear the word "woman" I think of my mother. I think of the words wisdom, strength, and courage. She has always told me that women are a sacred gift from god. I think of all the things she has taught me and realize how much self-respect is really worth. I think of hope and change. I think of the family I will have one day and the mother I will become.

I asked Gabriela if she could tell us a story that challenged her womanhood.
She said,"In my family it’s ok to be married to someone and have relationships with other men."

She says, “My idea and perspective of marriage is different from the one my parents and most married couples in Venezuela live. When I became older to realize how it works I felt insecure and confused. I asked myself how could a wife or husband share? All the movies that I’ve watched influenced me differently. I know my parents love each other, but I see it different. I’m unsure if I would ever be able to commit to one husband. Watching my parent’s relationships out side of theirs made me feel awkward. How I should react to their lovers? I was always angry and tried to keep them together. I did not want to accept this. It’s been over 15 years, I would say, that has gone by and they still to this day have outside relationships. I had to go through counseling and therapy to explain how it made me feel. After months, years of depression and being confused, I’ve matured and became who I am today. I learned to step out of the bubble and accept my parent’s relationships. My parents taught me a lot and I’ve learned from them. I learned a lot about myself and who I want to become in life. I know the day will come when I get married and I will be committed to one.”

Gabriela says, “Going through this experience with my family has challenged my womanhood and has also helped me realize the woman I want to be. It has made me strong and I’ve encountered my definition of marriage.”

Being friends with Gabriela all this time, I never knew what her parents were like. I like this interview it makes me open my eyes to the world all around us and how everyone has their own perspective of life.

3 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Blogger Denise said...

I do love the photograph. Will get back to you this weekend ::))

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Denise said...

I read your story again and I realized how much it hurts me to know that we are seen as "inferior." I often wonder, when I feel that attitude in a man, what makes one human feel better than the other.

Your friend told a story that we don't often hear. And, it was very important to hear how the behavior of the parents affected the child.

I wonder what advice your friend would give to other young people dealing with the choices of their parents.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger AMartinez said...

Hey you! I came across your story and I thought it was interesting that you chose your friend to write about. Different but interesting and I believe that we are afffeceted by our parents behaviors. They don't realize it but we either we choose to be the same or change.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home