Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What a Mother Goes Through/SCanales





I interviewed my mother. My mother’s name is Alma Valladares; she is 37 years old. My mother was born in Mexico and has been here in California for the past 22 years. I am proud of being her daughter because I do believe that she did go through a lot throughout the years. My mother is a strong woman who raised us good and has done everything she can for my sisters, little brother and myself.

What does the word woman mean to you?
The word woman means to be a responsible person that takes care of her children and gives them a good life.

Was it hard for you to raise your children?
Yes, because I got pregnant at the age 16 and I knew I was not going to have fun the way my other friends would. Another reason is because I had to work really hard to raise you kids good enough and you kids can have all the things you guys needed.

What did my grandparents do when they found out that you were pregnant?
Well when they found out that I was pregnant it was hard because they new that I was not ready for one. I didn’t graduate from high school and was not able to get my diploma. Instead I worked for you kids.

Are you proud of being a mother now?
I am very proud because when your father and I separated it was hard at first to raise you kids on my own. After the years went by I new that I was able to do it on my own because I wanted my family to be proud of me.

Tell me a story of a challenge you faced as a woman?
My biggest challenge would be being a parent at the age 16.

As I interviewed my mother, I knew that it was hard for her to have me at a young age. I understand her because I have a little one also. It was hard for me because I am not ready for kids and I really wanted to finish my school. I am proud of myself now because I work and go to school to give my little girl a better life. My mother and I get a long well because we talk about the problems that we have and try to help each one another to succeed.

2 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

Hi Sandy,
what your mom did is really admirable. It's the same to you.. I think you are very strong to handle this situation at his age. Going to school, going to work and taking care for your little girl!
I wish you all the best for your second little girl :-)
Nicole

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Sandra, I can see why your mother is your role model. She faced quite a few challenges. As I read your conclusion I thought of one question. What are your challenges a woman today? Maybe you could ask your mother to interview you and record your answers. I'd like to see it up on the blog :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home