Friday, April 13, 2007

My friend / Takuya















The woman I interviewed was Erin O'Hanlon who lives in Australia. She used to work in Japan for more than 2 years. We met each other through a mutual friend of ours and have known each other for almost 4 years. Now she is working as English teacher in Australia, so we can't see each other as often as we used to do. However, she is definitely one of my best friends.

What does the word woman mean to you?

The word woman to me means that being comfortable in your own skin, being old enough to appreciate your femininity and being able to enjoy life wearing fishnets or slippers.

Tell me a story of a challenge you faced as a woman.

When I lived in Japan I worked in a male-dominated office. I was the only female teacher in my school. At lunch times I had to listen to some pretty racy stories the male teachers would share. I could either have been repulsed by what they said and let them know that kind of talk wasn't cool with me. But that would have alienated me from most discussions so I made the choice to show mild discomfort when they shared their sexual conquests and sometimes even just laughed along. But it irritated me and at times I just wanted to lay it on them with all sorts of abuse. That was a huge challenge for me to keep my mouth shut, to keep the peace and to keep my friendships.

What I felt after this interview

I actually know some teachers from her story, but I didn't even noticed how she was feeling. Perhaps, she was struggling behind of me. However, she never complained and always looked great. This interview changed my impression about her. I figure out that she is strong, mature and independent as well she became a person whom I respect. I'm really glad that I had opportunity to know her in my life.

4 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Nessa said...

It must have been really hard to listen to the men tell their stories! I agree with her that you do have to be comforitable in your own skin! I enjoyed reading it!

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Denise said...

Takuya, I really think that your friend's story will help us to think about the things we say that might hurt listeners. Your friend handled the situation well. I can also understand her anger.

I wonder what suggestions she would give other women who might have to work in that situation for many, many years.

By the way, I'd like to read about the effects the interview had on you.

I would love to hear more about your friend's travels in different countries. What has it been like for her as a female traveler?

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger nancy said...

WOW i find that very hard to deal with hearing people who you work with talking very disrespectful and trying to keep your mouth shut. I look at teachers as mature people that would be hard for me to hear horrible things from them.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Antony said...

Fortunately, your friend didn't stay in Japan too long. Who can hold the anger everyday? I can understand that someone trys to joke but hearts other's feeling. So, my habit is to say "joking" after i make any joke. Of course, I will see whether they like the joke or not from their faces. Telling too many jokes can be annoying, you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home