Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Susan, the person I admire/by Vanessa

I have known Susan since I was about two years old. She is a big part of my life. I thought it would be good to find out her perspective of a woman and see what challenges she has been through.

What story or event has challenged you as a woman?
~ My divorce.

Why your divorce?
~ It was a difficult decision.

Why was it difficult?
~ I believed in marriage to be forever. It took me a long time to believe that my husband was not faithful. My husband did not want a divorce. I was also afraid my financial situation would be shaky.

Why did you believe marriage was forever?
~ I did not believe anything as bad as unfaithfulness could touch me. I thought it was only in soap operas and novels.

How did you end up making everything work out?
~ My husband offered to support my daughter and me indefinitely. But I wanted to do some on my own. So I went to the two largest companies in my area and one hired me. They had a great salary and offered my daughter and me full benefits.

How did it work out on your own after a couple of years?
~ It was difficult. There were a lot of ups and downs. I waited until there was not reconciliation before the final divorce.

Did you think about what would happen to your daughter?
~ I underestimated the impact on my daughter. My daughter, I think, still feels sadness. For her, I feel, relationships are difficult for her now.

What were the pluses to your divorce?
~ My self-esteem increased and I developed a circle of friends. I ran-in-10k’s. I finished college. I went out a lot more. I bought a new house. I just enjoyed myself like the world opened up.

___________________________________________________________________

What does the word woman mean to you?
~ Being a nurturer. A reflective person and an even person. A strong appreciation of life and looks at the glass as full.

After all this time that I have known Susan I have not known this. I really liked how she got to make it on her own. I like how she looks at life. I really admire her for her strength, getting a divorce must be really hard.

6 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Susan's story very interesting. I have always asked myself how a person would act after a divorce - principally a woman. She could face it by her own, and made it up working for a big company, what was good for her daughter, as well. Then, I can understand the appreciation.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Fabiola said...

Hi Vanessa!...:)Now i know why you admire this person.
Surely a divorce is a big deal...and getting through it might be even harder.Interesting story,but kind of sad though...anyways that's how life is.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Susan and Vanessa, thank you for the story. Yes, I believe that this must happen to a lot of women and men. We learn that love and marriage will be forever and that happiness will last forever and then our hearts are broken.

Do you believe that we should change the stories we teach our kids? The divorce rate is very high, but we keep teaching our children that marriages last forever. How could we avoid this pain?

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger caty cardenas said...

the story is really deep: I never have a divorce but when my boyfriend got divorce it was so hard for him so I believe that the women had a big challange.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Acalderon34 said...

Susan seems like a great woman to admire. It was good to hear that she wanted to do something for herself and daughter by herself. I dont know what it is like to be in a divorce but seeing my mom go through that was very difficult. She learned alot from it and became a better person. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Ashley C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home