Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Diana Ruah Kozlovskaja/ Natalia


I interviewed Diana Ruah Kozlovkaja. She is my housemate and my friend too. She has a really interesting life. I hope you like it.

1. What does the word woman mean to you?

-One woman with courage makes a majority I heard this phrase from my Yiddish mama again and again. A woman was a concept, a picture, an idea in my mind but to carry out that idea, to make it function there must have been an individual. And so, the idea of being, living as a woman did not exist for me apart from being an individual. Becoming an individual is of a very delicate matter, gradually, step by step and the charm of the process is that it is never ending. When you are honest, thoughtful, and aware of who you are as a woman, and of the ones around you there is not only a disconnection from all those causes that create conflicts in the world, but also in that understanding there is a completeness, a wholeness.

2. Tell me a story of a challenge you faced as a woman.

- A challenge came where I never expected it to meet me. Seeing diverse sides of life through the years of traveling and learning I more enjoyed being a young woman than was in any case burdened by challenges of it. And the tests, which came by on my path, were taken with delight and appreciation, humbly, as toughed by my mother. They were building me up, always making me stronger and supposedly kinder person. Although once it came, a challenge that stretched every single thing inside of me to fit the moment.In front of me was an elderly Chechen lady. She just buried her two sons, a daughter, and a grandson. We were in an abandoned village, which was used by men, the rebels. Muslim custom forbade strange man to comfort a woman and so, her house, partially destroyed, was isolated, nobody dared coming even near it.I was the only woman, young, and inexperienced, and the only one who had to come and bring this woman ‘utesheniye’, a word Chechens used for comfort. I saw many Chechens wearing black but this old woman was darker than anything else I ever saw. I was torn inside. Her eyes looked like bleeding with pain, an enormous pain, inhuman. That day I became older. Older in such a way that I would never choose to come back to where I was before. I am grateful that the Chechen woman let me bring her ‘utesheniye’, whatever little I could bring her. The lady's name is Amrina. From Semitic languages it may be translated as "Joy of the People."

When Diana was talking about her life, her family, and her amazing jobs, I was thinking in my life too. There is one thing in common between her life and my life. Both of us needed to travel because the political situations in our cities was complicated. I was born in the Basque Country, in the north of Spain. We have a problem of terrorism. The terrorists threaten people because they need money to buy weapons. For this reason, my family and I have been traveling all our lifes. We cannot live safely in our city. However, we are a happy family. We learned how to live and protect ourselves in a difficult situation. I was glad to interviewed Diana because I know she is happy also in hard moments too.
SPANISH:

La persona a la que he entrevistado es Diana Ruah Kozlovkaja. Ella es mi compañera de casa y también es mi amiga. Ella tiene una vida muy interesante. Espero que os guste.

¿Qué significa la palabra mujer para ti?

Una mujer con coraje es adulta. He oído esta frase por parte de mi madre judía una y otra vez. Una mujer es un concepto, una fotografía, un idea en mi cabeza que cumple una idea q debería realizarse individualmente. Para mi la idea de ser y vivir como una mujer no existe separada de ser un individuo. Convertirse en un individuo es un asunto delicado. Gradualmente, paso a paso, convirtiéndose en un proceso q nunca acaba. Cuando eres honesto, considerado, y te das cuenta de cómo eres como mujer y cuándo sabes que no hay desconexión de otras causas que crean conflictos en el mundo. Pero también es el entendimiento.

Cuéntame una historia que te haya supuesto un reto como mujer.

Un reto viene cuando nunca esperas que venga. Viendo diversas facetas a través de la vida a través de los años, viajando y aprendiendo, he disfrutado más siendo una pequeña mujer que cargando con el reto de serlo. Y los exámenes, que han venido por el trayecto, han sido tomados con placer y apreciación, con humildad, como diría mi madre. Ellos me ayudan a crecer, siempre fortaleciéndome y haciéndome mejor persona. Siempre que venía, un reto me llenaba por dentro y encajaba cada parte dentro de mi. En frente mío, había una mujer joven chechena. Ella acababa de enterrar a sus dos hijos, a su hija y a un nieto. Nosotros nos encontrábamos en un pueblo abandonado, que era de los hombres, de los rebeldes. Una orden musulmana prohibía a los hombres extraños consolar a una mujer, así que su casa, parcialmente destrozada, y nadie podía ayudarla cerca de allí. Yo era la única mujer, joven y sin experiencia que podía ayudar a esta mujer a "utesheniyae" una palabra chechena que significa consolar. Vi a muchas personas de negro, pero esta anciana mujer era lo más negro que he visto nunca. Sus ojos me miraban con dolor, un enorme dolor, inhumano. Ese día me hice mayor. Mayor en el sentido de nunca querer vovler a los lugares que ya habái estado antes. Estoy agradecida a la mujer chechena que me trajo "utesheniyae" o lo que pude ayudarle. El nombre de la mujer es Amrina. En el lenguaje semético es traducido como " la laegría de la gente."

Cuando Diana me hablaba sobre su vida, yo pensaba en lña mía. Hay algo en común entre su vida y la mía. Las dos hemos tenido que viajar porque la situación política en nuestras ciudades ha sido complicada. Yo nací en el País Vasco, al norte de España. Nosotros tenemos un problema de terrorismo. Los terroristas amenazan a las personas porque necesitan dinero para comprar armas. Por esta razón, mi familia y yo hemos tenido que viajar siempre. Nunca hemos estado a salvo en nuestra ciudad. Sin embargo, nosotros somos una familia feliz. Hemos aprendido a yudarnos y a protegernos en situaciones difíciles. Me alegro de haber entrevistado a Diana, porque sé que ella también es feliz, incluso en momentos difíciles.

2 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger christian said...

Nice photo Natalia!

I think Diana has had a interesting travel experience.

I didn't realize terrorism was taking place in Spain. I am very shocked. I am still going to visit Spain when I do my Euro Trip next summer. I will realize a lot more when I am in Spain!!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Hello Natalia, thank you for translating your oral history into your first language. I am learning Spanish so soon, I hope, I'll be able to read your oral history in Spanish.

Your friend's story made me think deeply about the displacement of people. A few questions came to mind for you. I would like to hear your story as a young woman moving with her family. You must let someone interview you using the same questions we used for the class. I also do not know about the terrorism in Spain. I don't know much about your Basque culture. I would love to learn. Who are the "terrorists?" Why are they fighting and who are they fighting?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home