Monday, April 09, 2007

My Hero/ By: Ashley Calderon


Interview with Pamela Blanchard

I interviewed my mother Pamela. She is fourty years old. She was been married twice. She has spent twenty years of her life living in Santa Barbara and just recently moved to Santa Maria and bought her own house. For a year she was been waking up at 5:45 am and leaving for work at 6:30 am down to Santa Barbara. She is a very hard worker and she never gives up on what she starts.

What is your full name?

A: Pamela Jane Staguaard

Do you have any brothers or sisters?

A: I have one younger brother. His name is John and he is expecting his first child soon with his wife Catalina.

Where did you grow up?

A: I grew up in San Fernando Valley; I lived in Van Nuys and North Hollywood. I moved to Santa Barbara after high school.

How old are you?

A: 40 years old

What was an experience that changed your life as a woman?

A: I was accepted into California Lutheran College. I decided to get married instead at the age of 22. I married my first husband (David) in Santa Barbara in March 1988. We lived in a one bed room and bathroom apartment in Goleta. In November of 1989 you (Ashley, her daughter) were born. August of 1994, David had left us. You (Ashley) and I had moved into a smaller home that your family lived in before. David and my divorce were very stressful and also depressing. I became a couch potatoes and it was very difficult to move on with my life.

I finally snapped out of it when I met my second husband Louis. Louis and I met in January of 1997 and got married in June of 2000. Marring him was the best thing I could of done besides having my daughter (Ashley).

Where are you today? I am living in Santa Maria, CA with my family.

A: I am also working at SBCC. I started working in the foundation, and then I moved to payroll. Now I am working in Human Resources.

Are you happy with your life right now?

Yes, I am very happy with my life. I have a beautiful family, a roof over my head, food on the table, a great job, good health and adorable fun loving pets.

Have you learned a lot in your life?

A: Life is short! Enjoy it while you can. I learned to be happy and also how to be a better person.

What does the word woman mean to you?

A: When I hear the woman I think of slave. We should not be treated lower than anyone else. Women should feel amazing in their own skin. We should have all equal rights to men. The word woman makes me feel proud and strong.

I loved to hear about my mother speaking about her life. I learn something new everyday from her. Listening to her speak about her life to me has changed me for the good and the bad. I know that she made acouple of mistakes in her life and I know now that I will not make those mistakes. I do know though I will always take after my mother with her kind heart and outgoing personality.

2 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger brenda said...

Thanks for sharing your mom's story. What a big desicion she took by choosing going to college or getting marry. Your mother have being a very strong woman because even all the suffer she passed through when her first husband left her she was able to raice her daugther. I like the words that your mother said at the end of the interview and I think she is raight.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Ashley, I agree with your mum. A person must live life to its fullest. I also believe that one should not have regrets. But, I still wonder if women who give up their studies think about it later in life.

I know divorce is very difficult. I've seen sisters and friends deal with the results. I am glad your mother is now happy. Depression takes all of the energy out of the body.

Your mother is right. As a woman, I do not believe that women should feel as if they are slaves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home