Monday, April 09, 2007

A Strong and Beautiful woman




The woman I am going to introduce you to today is a young Polish girl named Katarzena. She was born and raised in Poland but decided to come to the United States of America when she was 25 years old. She grew up in a small village of the North West of Poland, close to the Russian border. When she was 19 years old, her father died and it represented a crucial moment for her as a woman. This is the time in her life that we are going to talk about in this interview.

What does being a woman mean to you?
To me being a woman means being able to combine warmth and strength. As a woman you are the symbol of love and affection. Your basic function is to bear children and to raise by giving security, love and affection. But a woman is not only this, a woman is also a very strong individual that is challenged in her daily life. In the temporary times we have seen a lot of women fighting for their rights, the feminist type of women. A woman to me is someone who can be both successful in her private life and in her professional one. Being a woman does not only restrict you to your basic function but it is also about being able to manage a wide range of different tasks.

Do you see yourself as a real woman?
Yes. I think I can combine my femininity with my career life. I enjoy being a woman by being pretty and attractive, just like every other woman, but I also enjoy pushing myself to learn and to become successful. I do not only want to be a pretty girl. I want people to look at me and listen to what I have to say and think I am smart. Looks isn’t everything.

What episode of your life challenged you as a woman?
The death of my dad, for sure. After my father died I had a weird dream that really shocked me, and that has stayed in my mind ever since. I guess we can say it was the awakening of sensuality. It may sound strange that the death of my father was the starting point of my life as a woman, but it pretty much was. One night I dreamed of myself living this life of an attractive and desirable woman. Men would look at me and want to be with me. I had never experienced anything like this before. I had never thought of myself as a woman that men would look at with greedy eyes. I always had a very naïve vision of life. The only man in my life was my dad. But after he was gone I noticed that other men looked at me differently. It was very challenging for me to realize I could be sexually attractive. Growing up in a small village in Poland, it was taboo to talk about sex, so young women were not really aware of their sexuality. The death of my father was a big trauma in my life, and it brought a lot of different feelings to me. This episode of my life, however tragic it was, was definitely a moment of awakening to womanhood. I can say that from that time on, my vision of life has changed completely, I was no longer a child but a grown woman.

5 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Sweet Young Journey said...

Losing someone that close and important in your life is very hard and nobody can heal the pain of the lost. I am glad to hear that you have found a positive channel to cope. Sometimes when we feel the worst is happening to us something good could come out of it.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Fabiola said...

HIi!I just read your story and totally agree with her.Women are persons who play different rolls in this world.:)That's what make us stronger...ah and unique!!.:)

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Elodie, thank you for contributing that story. As I read the story many memories came back to me. I also lost my father and it was a very traumatic event. It affected my entire outlook on life. The death of a mother or father makes a person review the reasons for living. It also makes one understand that life has to be lived fully.

I did have one question for your friend and one for all women. If a woman decides not to have children, does it mean she is not doing her duty as a woman?

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger C.Nyman said...

Elodie, I believe that your friend is a very strong woman. Even though her father died, she never gave up. While reading her answers she talks a lot about being loving, which is very impressive considering her fathers death! Nice job, Elodie:)

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Elodie, thanks for the comments on my journal. It is good to know that women with career ideas are being taken more seriously these days. And, I hope that, as women, we can decide on babies without being judged.

I know what you mean and I don't think you should feel guilty about your comment. I don't think it means you don't love the parent when you recognize that they were not very good at the job. Of course, it a way, it is healthy to be able to talk about it and reflect on the results.

Have you ever had the conversation with your dad?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home