Saturday, April 07, 2007

Living in a "Man's" World, Hutton


Over the years living in a “man’s” world makes it difficult for woman to be successful without the help of a man, with the changing of the times life is really not that way anymore. Women have done many magnificent things to become equal. In this generation we have a woman running for president, so we have made giant leaps. Women are strong individuals that don’t get enough credit for the things we bring to the world. My grandmother grew up during the changing of the times for both women and segregation from other races and I feel that with a story from a strong person like her I would get a better look at what being a woman really meant. My grandmother has had many struggles and accomplishments in her life and I would like to hear what she considered “woman.”

“What defines you as a woman?”

Many things define me as a woman. I am a caring person and care deeply about other people feelings and interests. I enjoy helping others when I can and also the company of a man. Elegant and pretty clothes are a favorite of mine. I believe that taking the effort spite your sex and trying your hardest to reach your dreams and goals in life. Being a mother, grandmother and a great grandmother gives me much pride in being a woman. Having the strength to get back up when you’re knocked down or to keep a positive mind when faced with the negative. To believe in my self even when no one else did defines me as a woman.

What was one event in your life that challenged you as a woman?

One challenge was when I was a freshman in high school back in Akron, Ohio. I had braids, glasses and recently just got my braces take off. You can say that I wasn’t the most popular girl in school. There was a spot open on the majorette squad that I was very interested in it. Against my mother‘s better judgment I decided to try out. Around twenty five girls tried out most of them from the popular crowd and even then it was a popularity race. I got the call that out of the twenty five girls I had gotten the position. All four years in high school I was the majorette for our school. This was challenging because I was not one of the “in crowd” and this gave me a better look at life being a women. As I reached my senior year I was known for twirling fire and was also the head majorette.

One other event was when I had married Don and we were trying to have children. We had complication after complication and ended up losing the baby and then six after that. Finally, the seventh and final time we tried I was pregnant with your mother and fought all nine months to keep her from throwing up every 15 minutes to being bedridden, sick as a dog. Lucky your mom was born healthy and alert. This was a challenge because I wanted nothing more but to have children and for a woman that can’t produce babies it is a very large let down. Your grandfather didn’t help either after leaving the military he was the maintenance man for many of the country clubs in the area and he had also started a house cleaning service that did well. Wanting to go to law school, but I got no support from my husband or my own family. So I studied paralegal work instead, and then became the legal secretary for the largest law firm in the Palm Spring area. With having no support or push to go to school at all and then to have landed the position I did made me feel as that I was equal to my husband and just as important in life. My attitude at life then changed and so did your grandfather’s respect for me.

What does the word woman mean to you?

Strong, beautiful and knowing what you want and going after it the best of your ability!


With learning this story from my grandmother, it showed me that being a woman to her is just putting a fight and never giving up in what you believe in. My grandmother told me many other stories of her struggles of becoming a successful woman. Her whole life she was kind of looked down upon as the weak duckling of her family and throughout life she has struggled to prove to them otherwise. She married a horrible abusive man that broke her down in every way and also made her afraid her life, but with the help of her sister she left him and put herself in a healthier lifestyle where she then met the man of her dreams, my grandpa. I believe that every woman has a story of struggles and accomplishments that shaped them into a woman. It was the same when I had my son at 19 years old.

3 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger nelly said...

Thank's for sherring your grandmother's story, I think for your grandmother was very hard to know that she can't get pregnated after six tries. Fortunately your mom come to give your gransdmother a happiness of having a child. So, your mom is the only child on her family?

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Crystal, what a powerful story and what a strong woman you have for a grandmother. She mentions so many issues that women deal with and I immediately wanted to ask her questions about survival. Losing babies must be very hard on a woman who wants children. How did your grandmother find the courage to keep trying? And, in her story I see that issue that is still around. She wanted to be a lawyer. How did she get over the loss of her "dream?" The "Alchemist" reminds us of following dreams.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Elodie said...

Hi Crystal!
I agree with denise, what a powerful story! having children is defenitly i crucial time in a woman's life. In the future i really want to have children, and i can not imagine how hard it would be to try so hard and not being able to. But you know, even though she went through such rough times, the picture reminds you of how happy and blessed she feels about her life now. Not only she has a beautiful daughter and grand-daughter but she has a grand-grand-son (spelling??).
Take care,
Elodie :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home