Thursday, May 10, 2007

Her Loss is My Gain/RRivers

My grandmother is someone who is very important to me; that's why I chose to write about her. She has been through a lot in her life. Rubye Nell Kelley gave birth to her only child, my mother. She was born in 1919 and is currently 88. Right now she is currently fighting cancer, being deaf, and has lost almost all of her eye sight. She is making sure that all of her grandchildren are going through college. She is everything to me and I felt that it was only correct to interview her and hear what she has to say about being a woman:

What does being a woman mean to you?
"Being a woman means to me that, I can respect myself and be able to provide just as much as my husband used to. I can live my life with the same dignity as any man could and I am proud of that."

Give an example of an event that has challenged your womanhood:
"When I was 59, your grandfather Clarence was killed walking home from church. A drunk driver swerved onto the sidewalk and hit him. I'll never forget that day. The accident was so horrible; I could only identify him by his shoes. Well, the point is, your mother Ann was only 23 and in the University of Southern Carolina. Raising and supporting her, even though she was an only child, was very difficult. Getting her through college was rough because I had to work two jobs just to support her funds. I took over a laundromat and was also an accountant. You know, I'm sorry things happened for that reason, but, well she came out a stronger person. The way she raised you children; I'm very proud of her. Everything from that point forward really changed the way I have had a view on life. I have become more aware of everything and even became more protective of Ann.

My grandmother has been through a lot just to get her family and ours to where they need to be. She is very important to me and without her, I wouldn't have the mother and family I do now. She has always been there for all of us no matter how bad a situation. She always puts family first and loves with all of her heart. This is why I'm proud to share a part of my grandmother with you.

2 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Ryan, thank you:) I've been waiting a long time to read about your grandmother. As I said before, your grandmother sounds like a very strong woman. What does she think about your bike riding adventures? Does she worry about you? Do you tell her? I suggest you video tape one of your events and share it with her.

Relationships between the generations are so valuable. Your grandmother and her strength will be with you to pass on to your children.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Sora said...

your grandmother did a great job. It is a difficult job that woman raise her child alone. I also agree
that your grand mother is a proud person..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home