Monday, March 03, 2008

NEVER GIVE UP

Introduction

Ayako, my sister, never gives up. If someone is mean to her or she gets something bad, she doesn’t care on it. She is little different Japanese woman from other normal woman. For example, when I visited the Czech Republic, then we went to the grocery market to get dinner. She chose everything without asking me. It seemed like she had planned what she would cook. However, when we got home, she asked me how she could cook it. She chose all of them without my opinions. Finally, she said to me “cook it.” She didn’t now how to cook, so I cooked. She is strange because she is not observant, she is pretty bossy.


Could you tell me something about your life right now?

She is a violinist. She belongs to an orchestra in the Czech Republic. She is still trying to get her dream that to get a higher orchestra. After she graduated a music university, she went to the Czech Republic to go to a graduate school. And then, she joined an orchestra. But she received terrible treatment from local people because they don’t accept a foreigner well.


Also, in the class, when she was an undergraduate student, the teacher didn’t hand out to her because even if the teacher gave it to her, it is waste papers. So, she couldn’t read Czech well. She could get only music score.


I interviewed about discrimination, but she is in the art world, so it should be strong-arm tactics, I thought. However…


How did you get discrimination as a working woman?

She had to take an audition before she joined the orchestra. And then who is going to sit front or back row. It should depend on the place of the audition. But, it is not actually. The audition has every year and she got 1st place from 2006. Then one guy got 2nd place from 2007, but there was no 1st place. She thinks she should be first low, but she is second low. She said that why she is foreigner and woman, that’s it. Moreover, she thinks his violin is terrible. She gets mad. She giggles at him from his behind when he get mistake.

This happening is not rare. Her friend gets same thing.


Do you think that women are seen in the same light as men?

She thinks that this is one of the reasons, why women get discrimination is maternity leaves. So, company thinks women are going to take the maternity leave for one year, on the other hand men is not going take it. That is why company chose men because men don’t obstacle to the job. However, she thinks if women have more skills or get more money, men should take maternity leave and take care of baby. She gets mad about discrimination so much.


Conclusion


My sister is tying to get better orchestra, and she hopes the orchestra judges equally to men. There is much discrimination, but she will never give up, and she likes to get over.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQhlWFTuvVs
this is funny!

9 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger Jasmine said...

First, it was great pleasure to read your interview with your sister. Especially, it reminded me of one of Japanese famous drama series named "No-da-me-kan-ta-bil-re," which I will watch soon, 'cause your sister is now working for the orchestra. I am really sorry for the discrimination that she got, in that she maybe was foreigner and woman. But, I think she will overcome finally, because she is strong:) In addition, if I can have a chance to visit the country, I would like to meet her

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Nanako said...

I am really surprised that your sister belongs to the orchestra with foreign musicians. She seems very strong woman as you mention, also I can little bit understand how she feels on the way which she goes through, because I used to be a member of the orchestra. I highly respect her,because she is trying to get better musician even though she gets discrimination.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger izzie28 said...

I am glad that your sister did not give up on what she had set for herself. I myself can compare to her situation about discrimination. I am very glad to hear that your sister has a strong and positive attitude towards what her dream is even though there will be people that try to bring her down. Hope she keeps her head up no matter what others say about her talent.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger sandra said...

Your has a charisma to do everything she wants to. I think it is very important for everyone to have dreams like your sister even though when we have big rocks in the way. Your story makes me think how it will be life without challenges?

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Tekinha said...

I really admire women that stand for what their believe and want to change their situation. Women's discrimination is a big issue and I hope she can find the best way to change that.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Sherry said...

We can see discrimination every where, especially when we are the foreigners in other countries. Every student who study overseas might have the similar experiences. However, I do believe if we are optimistic and never give up, our luck will come finally. I see many successful cases; therefore, people who are facing the same situation don't be frustrated. Let cheer up each other!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Sherry said...

We can see discrimination every where, especially when we are the foreigners in other countries. Every student who study overseas might have the similar experiences. However, I do believe if we are optimistic and never give up, our luck will come finally. I see many successful cases; therefore, people who are facing the same situation don't be frustrated. Let cheer up each other!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger jose carlos said...

It was a pleasure for me read your interview, because that remembered me when i came to USA for my first time and i didn't speak any English, tell your sister to don't give up and tell her to keep her dreams up.......

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Jordan Schlau said...

Unfortunately, discrimination is still a big issue today. Your sister showed a great deal of strength by never giving up in what she believed in. I admire how your sister continues to stay strong and positive even when dealing with discrimination.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home