Monday, March 03, 2008

My relative overcame her challenges




Introduction: I have many relatives in the US. All of them are my great-grand father's older brother's posteritiy. One of my relatives whose name is Ellen Yamamoto, 64, is a strong and mature woman.She was born in Japan and attended US Military schools in Tokyo all her life as she was an American Military Dependent. Her father was American, so she was raised as bilingual Japanese-English, but she did not receive any formal Japanese education.


Interview:

1, Could you tell me about your life right now?  

I am now retired after 30 years as an National Account Executive for Kaiser Permanente. 


2, What was your life when you were girl?

I lived in Japan because my father was with the US Army stationed in Tokyo.  I attended US Military schools in Tokyo all my life as I was an American Military Dependent. I am bilingual Japanese-English but did not receive any formal Japanese education.  I am also bi-cultural because I spent my childhood in Japan as an Japanese American.


3, What challenged have you faced and do you face as a woman?  

As a Japanese American I faced racial and gender discrimination in the work place through the 1970s and 1980s.  In those days, women were paid less and faced a glass ceiling.  However, despite these challenges, I was able to progress upward in corporate life and became the highest level in Sales & Account Management nationally in my company. 


4, What kind of challenges do you think woman faces in society?  

Asian American women have faced stereotypes and discrimination which has fortunately subsided.  However, many still in mainstream American think that Asian women, especially Japanese American, are supposed to be meek and not assertive.  However, with more education and opportunities to work with Asian women, this prejudice or stereotype should subside. 


5, Have you faced any challenges?  

Yes, raising 3 sons alone and learning how to be more assertive in the business.


6, Do you think that woman are still seen in weaker than man in society?  

Yes, but this is starting to subside as more women hold key roles in society.  If Senator Clinton is elected President, her presidency will create a big paradigm shift in this thinking, if it hasn't already. 


7, What is your biggest challenge?  

Biggest challenge was to raise 3 sons alone and make them effective in society. And did you succeed?  Yes. 


8, How could you overcome a fear?  

With courage,determination and by moving forward. 


9, Have you ever felt any sex discrimination in society?  

Yes and racial discrimination. 


10, What do you think the equal rights for man and woman?  

They should be equal and fair. Everyone should be judged by their merits, skills and talent.  Men & Women equally have the responsibility to build and sustain a better society and nation.

 
11, Could you share some differences you see in the younger generation?  

Younger generation have less manners, more impulsive and more impatient. 


12, In your opinion, what are some of the financial challenges that woman face?  Not being able to get equal pay.  This has started to change but more needs to happen. 

 

13, Have you had any financial challenges specially as a woman?  

Yes, getting lesser pay than my male colleagues which began to change in the 1990s. 

 

14, What kind of sacrifices have you made as a woman? 

Raising 3 children alone with no support from a spouse the sacrifices were a) not having discretionary income to spend on oneself and b) spending all available on my children. 

 

15, Why did you change countries? 

I did not change countries. I am American by birth. My father is an American who was stationed in Japan. 

 

16, What was your goal moving from your country to another? 

Living in Japan as a Japanese American I tried to absorbed the culture of my forefathers.

  

 

17, How does your ethnic background influence your life as a woman?  

I apply the good aspect of my Japanese background to improve my life.  For example, I try to eat more Japanese foods because they are more healthy and have less fat. 

 

18, In your country, how do they view woman?  

I don't this is applicable to me but in the US women have more equal opportunities.

 

20, What is the attitude to woman in your ethnic background?  

Unfortunately, Japan is still a male dominated society and sometimes Japanese American men try to impose this culture on us Japanese women even though they wouldn't impose them on mainstream American women. 

 

21, What challenges have you faces as a mother?  

Keeping young, up to date, trying not to lecture my children and to trust them.


Conclusion: Finally, she could overcome all her challenges and fears. All her family and relatives have been keeping eyes on her softly and kindly, so now she is doing same things to me. She is always taking care of me instead of my parents. She gives me a good scolding when I do wrong, and praises me for my efforts.

1 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger katlyn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home