Friday, February 29, 2008

Flo-oral history #1 - Hagar - Canada

Flo-oral histories are the fictionalized and lovingly recreated voices of women who lived before our time. I call them "flo-oral" (flor'al) histories because they are,like flowers or a floral bouque, the skeletal voices of beautiful women. They are the voices of strength and power; they are our ancestors; they are our role models; they are our inspiration; and they are our guiding lights.

The writer of flo-oral histories prepares for the writing of these stories by reading research that covers the anthropological and sociocultural aspects of these women's lives. History books tended to capture the names of some women, but on the whole the details of their lives were ignored. Due to the circumstances that privileged one gender over the other, the writers of history were often men. Consequently, the voices of women were silenced and their amazing contributions to society overlooked.

Flo-oral histories are an attempt to give these women back their voices; they are a verbal archealogical dig into the annals of history; they are a forward motion in an attempt to uncover the invaluable threads and bridges that link us to the past. They give women a boost to their identities; and they give men a looking glass for equality.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Research: book for reference
Bristow, P., Brand, D., Carty, L., Cooper, A.P., Hamilton, S., Shadd, A.
"We're Rooted Here and They Can't Pull Us Up," Essays in African Canadian Women's History

Link to We're rooted here and they can't pull us up

Writers's purpose

"We are six Black women who share a collective concern that the history of Black people in Canada and of Black women i particular is missing from the pages of mainstream Canadian history. Black people in Canada have a past that has been hidden or eradicated, just as racism has been deliberately denied as an organized element in how Canada is constituted."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction:
In my search for women in North American history, I entered Canada in the 18th century. As I looked around; as I read about the period I met Hagar. She was owned by a Malachy Salter and was well known in their household for her hearty and deliciously spiced home cooking. Hagar worked long hours in the Salter household and prayed daily for the life of her son, Jack. Jack was a young man who spent his time angrily claiming his humanity in one way or another. His antics often put him in harms way. His master, the sadistic Salter, gave him a beating almost every day. I roamed around the era and eventually Hagar agreed to speak to me.

Yaari: Hagar, I am working with my students on collection stories of women. I found your name and decided to interview you about your life here in Canada. Tell me a little about yourself.

Hagar: Well Yaari life is hard. I've been working for the magistrate and his family since I was a young girl. When I'm cooking I hear him and his wife talking about justice and fairness and I stand there thinking about the many beatings this man has given me. His wife doesn't even try to stop him when she hears the screams from the others.

Yaari: It sounds like hell Hagar. What are the challenges you face as a woman in this position?

Hagar: I used to live in fear of the master and the other men because I knew that he could decide any day to come to my bed. And now that I have children I pray twice as hard for them. After they sold my man away from me, I grew hard and strong. I told myself I could do anything as long as they don't sell my children or me. Keeping us together is my one goal.

Yaari: I hear you're having some trouble with your son. What is the trouble all about?

Hagar: OOOhhh, keeping him alive and on this plantation is my biggest challenge. He's willful and stubborn. He hates the life he sees me living and as he gets older he's becoming more rebellious. The master beats him almost every day because he's always breaking the rules and he is always leaving the fields. My heart vibrates with anger and it cracks when I see them tie him to the post and beat him until the old scars bleed. The rage wells up; I want to kill the master for his cruelty and I want to beat Jack because I am scared for him, but I want to love him and hold him close because he's trying to protect his mother.

Yaari: Hagar, how do you protect yourself and your son under these circumstances?

Hagar: Oh girl, I try not to think about these things. If I did all the time, I'd go mad. But, now that I think on it, I live with a deep belief in God. I pray for better days. I do all that I'm told to do because I can't afford no trouble while I have these children with me. As it is I know that they're thinking of selling Jack so I must find a way to get him out of here. I'm going to miss my boy something terrible, but I can't watch them cut him to pieces and I can let them sell him to another plantation. I prefer to let him run North and never see him again than watch them sell him.

Yaari: Hagar, thanks for talking to me.

Conclusion:
My interview with Hagar was the beginning of the stories. As she related her experiences to me, my admiration grew. I wondered how she could be so calm, so in control of her emotions, so patient with the situation. I realized that in order to keep her sanity and for the sake of her children, Hagar reached into her inner self and gathered all of her strength. She fed on that strength for the lives of her children.

40 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger sarah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Jasmine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger ariana said...

As i was reading this,it felt like you were really talking to her. This story had so much depth and it felt like you were understanding what she had in her life.Even though she did not have a good life,she did the best she can in this mist of what she was going through.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Jasmine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Jasmine said...

She is living under the intolerant situation: his son, for instance, is beaten up almost whenever he break rules. However, all she can do is just looking at the scene. How cruel it is...! I even felt a sort of pity. This kind of tragedy always throws me something to think of everytime I read of hear it.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger sarah said...

I think that she is a very strong woman to deal with what she did. I can't even imagine how she dealt with watching her son while he was beaten everyday and not being able to do anything. What happened after? Was she able to get her son away or was he sold to another plantation?

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Bryant said...

the essay were well put together,like it

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger huiwang123 said...

i think for Hagar,she has a hard life time.she said protect her son to live is the biggest challenge for her. it is sad thing.when i read this interview i feel Hagar is a great,brave woman. In any condition, she can clam down,also, she can control herself.i think it is good way to think her life.even she has some trouble in her life, i am still proud of her. i hope her son will get better.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger huiwang123 said...

i think for Hagar,she has a hard life time.she said protect her son to live is the biggest challenge for her. it is sad thing.when i read this interview i feel Hagar is a great,brave woman. In any condition, she can clam down,also, she can control herself.i think it is good way to think her life.even she has some trouble in her life, i am still proud of her. i hope her son will get better.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger sarah said...

Sarah T

It's inspiring how Hagger was able to remain so calm whist being treated the way she was, being a slave and having to always be looking behind her back in fear; and having to watch her sins go through what they did as well whilst still keep an optimistic attitude.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Paul said...

This story reminds my past in Canada where a lot of white people ignored Asians due to racism

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Diana said...

This story is really sad. I think that Hagar is a real strong woman. To have the power to keep things together for the sake of her family must be a big weight on her shoulders. It must be hard to watch her son get beaten and not be able to do anything about it. I think i would die if i had all that chaos in my life.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger beville said...

Very interesting story. I'm in awe of Hagar resiliency and her strength as a woman going through what she have gone through with her son and all.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Heitor Oliveira said...

Her story is very interesting, make us think about of all the suffer that a black woman passed through.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Nanako said...

I cannot imagine how terrible life Hagar went through. She has been suffered since she was girl, but she grew up and became a good mother. Unfortunately, her owner was trying to sell two of her sons because they didn't behave well. The biggest problem for her was she didn't want to let her sons sell out.
I hope she can escape from her owner and spend a good life with her family.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Hiro said...

It is hard to imagine, but I think this happening was not old history. if I ware in the situation..... i cannot endure it. it is very sad,

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Ai Kurihara said...

I understand the story about Hagar as a slave.I fell very sorry for her severe life as a woman and a mother. I hope she could get happy life with her son.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Randall said...

Good story.It had a lot of depth. As I read the story I felt as if I was there.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Daphne said...

I believe Hagar is a strong women who was forced to live in a rough life as a slave. She wants this whole nightmare to be over, so she would move forward with her two children and be free from slavery. I feel her anger towards her master; has to respect him even though he beats her son for breaking the rules. She did the right thing to help her son escape from that life and avoid him from getting sold to another man. Women like Hagar, who lived as slaves, deserve all the respect in the world.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Daphne said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Daphne said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Daphne said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Roxy5689 said...

This is a sad story because Hagar just stands there and watches will she master beats her son till he bleeds. i know that they are slaves but beating someone is wrong. even in that time when beating someone was aloud, it still seams wrong

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I have a lot of respect for this women. I think she is so brave and strong willed to keep on keepin' on everyday considering her circumstances. I feel so bad for her and her son that she was beaten everyday by her husband and that her son had to experience it with his own eyes. I can't imagine living a life the way she lived hers and I am glad that she is out of the situation and found a higher power to help her through the pain.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger katlyn said...

I think Hagar is a very strong and brave person after all of the terrible things she has been through. I found it very sad that her master would beat her and her son and the wife of the master would never come and try to stop him even when she heard them screaming. I wonder wether her son was able to leave or not. Hopefully, he was able to get away so that he wouldn't get sold or continue to get beaten by the master.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Tekinha said...

At the same time this is a sad story and a sad situation, is so good to read that and see how strong Hagar is.
I think when bad and hard things happen with you is already difficult but when involve your family is even worst and I admire her for her strength. I would like to talk to her and try to understand her feelings.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Daniel Silva said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Isabella Mendes said...

I think is so sad to see in 2008 people being treat like slaves. Canada probably should do more programs about racism, because it's not the first time that I read this kind of story happening in Canada. Hagar's son should give her support not be angry at her. She's a brave woman.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger jessica said...

Hagar was a black woman who cook in the household of Malachy Salte. I cannot imagine how terrible life Hagar went through. she is an very strong woman, at that time she just have one believe that to protect her son. She is an good mother, the big problem for her is to stop the owner to sell her son. She is so strong and brave.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Daniel Silva said...

I think is a sad story. she was a brave woman all her file even though she couldn't do anything to protect her son from his father.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger daniel said...

It must be very hard for

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger ashwelty said...

When i read this i felt sooo much hate for the people who choose to take the life of someone, and use it for there own selfish and stupid wants. It's just not right. Owning someone, then selling them and there family's off. Deciding to sleep with any woman they own just because they own them. It's just not fair. We were all given our own life's to live, and no one should take that from us.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is probably one of the most tragic stories I have heard. How could people be so cruel? That poor woman, she had to live as a slave her whole life and take all the beatings just to keep her family together; that is true love. This woman did everything she could to keep her family together even though she knew that someday they would sell her son. This is story makes me so sad and angry at the same time. I just can't believe people actually treated each other with such disrespect.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger kfow said...

I liked this because i really felt like we were talking to her and really envolved in the conversation. I dont see how she can live under these conditions. I dont see how she had the will to survive and even talk about it. She is very strong to see her son get beaten every day like she did.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger JuiceJason said...

Hagar is a very strong woman! To cope with a master and free willing son would be more troubles then anyone should have to deal with... I can share the anger your son has, to watch his mother be enslaved. Its an unbearable thought and a lot of respect for her and her son as well.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger daniel said...

This story was very sad. It must have been very hard for this women to cope with the fact that she has to send her son away. She must be a very very strong women if she is seeing her son getting beat up everyday. I cant even imagine how life would be without your son.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Anthony Clark said...

wow what a caring mother! Definitely a strong women that lives her days wanting a better life for her children. as for her fear of her son, i feel sorry that this is the life a women once lived.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger myles said...

She is very inspirational people to everyone. It would be a horrible thought to think about and watch your on getting beaten right in front of you. It is probably very hard to deal with that. She fought through and should be proud of herself.

-myles

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Jimmy H. said...

I think she is a really strong woman because of what she has gone through this this experience. She took care of her family and she had to endure watcher her son get punished day after day is terrible. This story is horrible and to see it happen to someone in real life makes it worse.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hagars experiences inspire woman to move on in life she is an important woman and tragic events she has been through make her a stronger woman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home